Tuesday, January 26, 2016

I'm Back/Spike Lee

 

Hello all. Sorry for the long break. I have been posting more on my Instagram account @thefreshflix throughout the last year.
  Spike Lee is actually the one that encouraged me to start typing again. Last week Spike Lee wrote an essay on Instagram stating how he has decided to boycott the Oscar ceremony by not attending due to lack of "diversity" among acting nominees. He stated that this is the second year in a row that there is no "flava" among acting candidates.
  While I agree that there does need to be more diversity among nominees I don't agree with the way that Spike Lee thinks of diversity ("flava"). If there had been Asian, Hispanic or Indian nominees perhaps he wouldn't have made the statement, however, Lee is known to be an outspoken civil rights activist and I believe the only diversity he cares about is his own race (African American). I could be wrong.
  Others have followed Lee's example and are coming out publicly with their views about the situation, including: George Clooney, Matt Damon, Jada and Will Smith.
  I think Lee is being immature about the whole situation. The kind of statements he has made aren't doing any good for the cause he's fighting for or for the outcome he's looking for. It's a slap in the face to all of those being nominated (including African American nominees).
  Lee is right. There does need to be more diversity among nominees. However, diversity means more than "flava".

No comments:

Post a Comment